|Advertisement in the Antioch News|
for the Grand Opening of the
Antioch Theatre, July 26, 1924.
|14th Cavalry wagon train postcard, showing businesses |
on east side of Main Street, Antioch, circa 1925.
(Dunn Museum 92.24.1177)
In January 1924, Oliver G. Johnson announced he was moving his motion picture business (Majestic Theatre) into the new theatre building under construction on Lake Street. Johnson had given up his lease with Barney Naber on Main Street, who would be leasing the former movie house to William Ross for a restaurant. The Majestic Threatre had been in Naber's building since April 27, 1919.
The name of the new theatre under construction was originally proposed as the New Majestic Threatre, but that name was dropped in favor of the Antioch Theatre. Oliver G. Johnson brought in his brother Frank Johnson to co-manage the theatre.
The motto of the Antioch Theatre was "The Public is Right." The first feature presentation was Zane Grey's "The Wanderer of the Wasteland."
|"Wanderer of the Wasteland" |
was the first feature film shown in the Antioch Theatre.
In October 1947, Swanson announced he had completed the remodeling of the Antioch Theatre. The remodeling gave the theatre an additional 100 seats in the balcony.
October 31, 1957, Swanson sold the Antioch Theatre to William Goeway of Antioch. Goeway took control on November 4. He also owned the nearby Lakes Theatre. Goeway planned a new deluxe concession department and extensive remodeling of the theatre.
On May 31, 1962, Goeway sold the Antioch Theatre to Henry C. Rhyan of the Family Outdoor Theater in Grayslake. Goeway moved to Jacksonville, Florida where he intended to continue in the movie business.
|Photo by Tim Downey, circa 2014|
Source: Archives.org (Antioch News, 1923 - 1962)
Special thanks to museum volunteer and researcher, Al Westerman.