Search This Blog

Friday, June 20, 2008

Vanished Airfields


A researcher called the Archives looking for information on the defunct Chicagoland Airport once located in the Half Day/Lincolnshire area. After checking the newsclipping files and finding only a couple of references, I remembered a website I had stumbled across doing research on the Haley Army Airfield at Fort Sheridan.

The website Abandoned and Little Known Airfields is a fantastic source for vanished airports throughout the country. And indeed, the site had a good deal of information, maps and aerial photos about the former Chicagoland airport which began its life as a U.S. Navy flight training airfield about 1945.

2 comments:

aufinch57 said...

Thanks for this link and info. I remember hearing of this field.

Bill T said...

My dad Bill Till used to fly out of Chicagoland Airport in the late 50's and early 60's. His friends John Drew, Troy Dobbs, (who had a Stearman there), and Bob Sanobri who owned a restored P-51 Mustang that was tied down there at the time, all flew there as well. I was only 10 years old at the time. But I remember Sunday afternoons at the airport very well.